These are instructions for the next of kin, in case of the unfortunate demise of a pensioner.
- Death if due to accident or unnatural causes should always be reported to the Police Station in whose jurisdiction the area falls. It avoids a lot of troubles later on. In such cases get the autopsy done to establish the proper cause of death.
- Do obtain two ink signed copies of medical certificate specifying the cause of death from the Hospital or the authorised medical practitioner. One of these is required by the authorities at the cremation/ burial ground.
- The other is required by the authorities(Registrar of Deaths & Births) who issues Death Certificates. Obtaincremation/burial certificate from the cremation/burial ground.
- A close relative should apply for issue of Death Certificate within 15 days of the death of the pensioner/ deceased. Obtain at least 20 ink signed and an equal number of Photostat copies duly attested by a class one officer.
- Write to the Pension paying Bank Intimating them of the demise of the pensioner, asking them to discontinue the pension of the pensioner and payment of the family pension of the spouse or NOK (Next of Kin) (give name). Enclose ink signed death certificate & copy of the original P P O having a joint photograph of the pensioner & spouse/ NOK (Next of Kin). Also, state PPO and pension SB Account Number. The sample Application form is at Annexure (Check bottom of page)
- If the Pension account is a joint account or the spouse is a nominee in it, then it is simpler to operate the same account for family pension, otherwise, a fresh SB account is to be opened in the same bank. It requires proof of Identity and Proof of Residence. Photocopy of Voter ID Card, PAN card will suffice, with three copies of attested photographs.
- Write separately to Pension sanctioning Authority, PCDA (P)to start a family pension, on the demise of the pensioner and enclose ink signed copy of death certificate:-Sample Application is at Annexure 1.
- If the age was less than 70 years write to Army Group InsuranceFund (AGIF) to Make a payment of life insurance amount. Application Performa at Annexure (Check Bottom Of Page)
- In the case of Retired Army Pensioner Write to the AGs Branch(MP-5, CW 4) to update their records. & to Pay Platinum Grant if applicable As per Annexure
- Return Retired Officers ID Card to Area HQ (lnt Br.) for further Disposal.
- If there are other Insurance Policies write to them to pay Insurance amount.
- Write to all banks wherein the pensioner has his accounts to transfer closing balances to the spouse/NOK (Next of Kin), giving bankers address and account number.
- Write to the Regional Transport Officer to transfer the Automobile to the NOK (Next of Kin).
- Write to Arms Licensing Authority to transfer the weapon (if any) to the NOK (Next of Kin) meanwhile deposit the weapon(s) in concerned PoliceStation Arms Dealer for safe custody. The NOK (Next of Kin) should apply for arms license at the earliest.
- Write to Electricity Providing Agency to transfer the meter in the name of spouse/NOK (Next of Kin) and start further billing against that name.
- Write to the Telephone providing Agency to Change the name of the subscriber, transfer the connection to the name of the Spouse/NOK (Next of Kin) for further billing.
- Apply to AWHO to transfer the dwelling unit to the spouse/NOK (Next of Kin). Performa for Application should be obtained from the AWHO / Welfare Society. The Society has to render No Objection Certificate (NOC). Stating that there is no encroachment of common land, No major modification to the approved design and all Dues to the society has been cleared. If not already done you may have to do it before they issue NOC.
- Write to all the clubs & societies to transfer the membership to the spouse/NOK (Next of Kin).
- Write to all Debtors to clear all dues and make payment to the Spouse/NOK (Next of Kin).
- Clear the outstanding dues if any of the Creditors and credit cards and loans taken if any. Return the credit cards to the Bank concerned.
- Some of the banks may have issued Insurance certificate for the amount of FD/Bank Balance, then claim it.
- Write to Income Tax authorities to intimate death of the pensioner to close his Income Tax file and open Income Tax file in the name of the Spouse/NOK (Next of Kin) Quoting PAN number of both.
- Write to the Municipal Authorities to Close Property case file of the deceased person and open it in the name of the spouse/NOK.
- Approach the district Courts for Probate of the Will, if it is in possession, otherwise obtain a Succession Certificate. From theDistrict Judge.
Annexure 1: DRAFT LETTER FOR FAMILY PENSION
Name of Bank Address
Subject:- GRANT OF FAMILY PENSION ON DEMISE OF
- 1. Reference- Our Joint Pension SB A/C No…… held in your Bank.
- 2. I regret to inform you that my husband, IC No, Rank ………….. Name………..has expired on…………….. at due to Certificate of his death is enclosed for ready reference. He was drawing his pension through your bank. Kindly, stop the payment of his pension with effect from………………… and Start payment of family pension at the rate prescribed vide Annexure three to 6th Pay Commission Report i.e. Rs 15630/= + DA @ 51 % or as applicable to me through the same Pension SB A/C No. Held in your Bank. We have no dependent children.
- 3. You are requested to forward the attached copy of this letter along with Copy of his Death certificate duly endorsed for its correctness.
Copy to: PCDA (P), Draupadi Ghat, Allahabad 211014: for similar action.
Annexure 2:- DRAFT LETTER FOR ARMY GROUP INSURANCE EXTENDED POLICY
Tele No: Mob
Army Group Insurance Fund,
AGIF House, Rao Tularam Marg, NEW DELHI – 110010
Sub:- ENCASHMENT OF EXTENDED ARMY GROUP INSURANCE POLICY
Extended Army Group Insurance Certificate
No. issued to IC No. Rank………..
Name of Corps of Signals. (Encl in original)
- 1. I regret to inform you that my spouse, I C. No……….. Rank………….. Name……….has expired on……. at………. His/Her Death Certificate issued by …………… is enclosed for ready reference.
- 2. I am enclosing the Extended Army Group Insurance Certificate for encashment duly completed in all respect. His date of birth is………………………… Kindly send the cheque of the sum assured to me on my address as given above. My Bank details are as under:-
- SB A/C No. …………Name………… and address…………… of my Bank.
Thanking you in anticipation,
Annexure- 3 DRAFT LETTER FOR ARMY OFFICERS BENEVOLENT FUND –RS 50,000/-
Tele No: Mob
The AOBF (Accts Sec), AG’s Branch, IHQ of MOD (ARMY)
Room No 279a, South Block DHQ PO, New DeIhi110011
Subject:- Payment of Platinum Grant (AOBF) On Demise of IC
No IC Rank………………….
Col Name (Late) of Corps of Signals.)
Reference PPO No. ……………….. (Photocopy enclosed)
- 1. I regret to inform you that my husband, IC No. Rank Name has expired on date……….. at Name of Hospital…………. , Address ……….., Due to Cause of Death……………… The Certificate of his death Issued by (Civil Authority) is enclosed for ready reference.
- 2. You are, kindly requested, to send me his Platinum Grant on his demise. His date of birth is…………….. Photo Copy of his Retired Officers’ Identity Card is enclosed for ready reference. The cheque may please be issued to me on the Address given on top of this letter. My Bank details are as under:
- Name of Bank………
- Address ……………….
- SBA/C No…………………
- 3. We have XXX / do not have dependent children.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Signatures ( Name- Mrs xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xx) W/O Late xxxxx
Copy to:- MOD IHD, Army/HQ AG ( MP 5/ CW 4) For Similar