The Madras Regimental Centre was first raised as 36 Madras Battalion at Tanjore (Now Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu) in 1794. It was thereafter re-designated as 2/13 Madras Native Infantry in 1798, 26 MADRAS Native Infantry in 1824, 86th Carnatic Infantry in 1903 and 10/3rd Madras Regiment in 1922 and subsequently placed under suspended animation. It was later re-raised as the Recruits Training Centre of the 3rd Madras Regiment at Madukarai on 19 July 1942. On official inauguration, colours of old 10/3rd MADRAS Regiment were presented to the new Regimental Centre on Assaye Day, 23 September 1942 at Madukarai. Associated with the Regimental Centre in Madukarai was the 103 Indian Garrison Training Company which performed the functions of a reinforcement sub-unit for the active Battalions. As a result of the efforts of the Gen Sir Archibald Nye, GCIE, KCB, KBE, MC, the then Governor of Madras and the second Colonel-in-Chief of the Madras Regiment (10 August 1946-31 March 1949), the Training Centre moved to Wellington in the Nilgiris in February 1947 and billeted in its present location, the Wellington Barracks. The Wellington Barracks were constructed way back in 1852-60 and have a chequered history of their own. In 1964, the Barracks were renamed as Shrinagesh Barracks in recognition of Gen Shrinagesh who was the first Indian Colonel of The Madras Regiment.
The Center of excellence
View all comments