National Defence Academy, Pune — where youth find purpose and their energy meets goals — celebrates esprit-de-corps like nowhere else. No matter in what corner of the academy soldiers stay. their existence becomes an expression of brotherhood and camaraderie. A resident of NDA lives by the rules of a close-knit family. Subodh Gupta captures the little details of a resident through his lens
MARCH ON… FOOD FIT FOR FIGHTERS
- NDA was envisioned by Lord Mountbatten. Its field work was provided by field marshal Sir Claude J Auchinlek.
- An extensive study of various military academies around the world was conducted before this was laid down in recommendations to the Government in 1946.
- A hundred thousand pounds was donated by the Sudanese government for building a war memorial to commemorate the sacrifices of the Indian troops in the liberation of Sudan during the 2nd World War. Sudan Block of the Academy is an expression of their respect for our soldiers.
- On October 6, 1949 its first foundation stone was laid by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
- It was complete in six years. And was first inaugurated on January 16 1955, by Morarji bhai Desai, the then chief minister of Maharashtra. The first commandant of the Academy was Maj Gen Enayat Habibullah.
- There are two pianos of German origin occupying a proud place in Cadets’ Mess and Officers’ Mess